• Olazo’s 15th one-man show entitled Permutation Series II and Nos. 11-49, Luz Gallery, August 18-September 6. A collection of 28 acrylic on paper, a linear interpretation of Olazo’s well-known diaphanous forms characterized by clean, sharp, well-defined lines. Olazo’s Permutation like the Diaphanous series, deals with the theme of creating and building up of forms, through linear overlapping and not through transparent layering. In addition to stark black and white and gray lines, some pieces incorporated opaque forms and others, scumbling background.
• One-man show — Landscape-Trees, West Gallery, November. Marks the first Olazo collection of landscapes, although doing landscapes since 1975. Consists of 33 oil pastels and five acrylic on paper, all done in 1991. Relatively small pieces, from 8 ½ x 11 in to 14 x 20 in. Also started oil landscapes using palette knife with traditional subject, impressionistic approach, and abstract design.
• Four painters (Albor, Lao, Luz, Olazo) at Luz Gallery; Seven Years of Philippine Art, Finale Art File; and Top Ten Artists of the Philippines, West Gallery.
• Participates in two international exhibits: Il Sud Del Mundo, L’altra Arte Contemporanea, Galleria Civica D’Arte Contemporanea, Marsala, Italy and Second World Wide Three Yearly Exhibition of Small Prints, Musee d’Art Contemporain, Chamalieres, France.
• One-man show, Mother and Child, 12 works in oil pastel and pastel, Finale Art File, December.
• Group shows by Finale Art File: Malang-Olazo Two Man Show; Recent Prints by Romulo Olazo and Jonathan Olazo; Out of Rizal’s Dapitan (in commemoration of the centenary of Rizal’s exile in Dapitan) with five Landscape-Dakak, oil pastel; and another show, Wildlife that features Landscape-Ninoy Aquino Parks & Wildlife.
• Fine Art by Modern Masters, with Legaspi, Magsaysay-Ho, Malang, and Olazo, Crucible Gallery.
• One-man show —Romulo Olazo-Large Scale Paintings, Main Gallery, Cultural Center of the Philippines, August. Featured 13 paintings in black and white and gray, with the largest, Diaphanous B-LXXVI, 96 x 144 in.
• From the large Saturday Group of Artists, a smaller group meets on Wednesdays, thus the name the Midweek Group. Includes Cesar Legaspi, Onib Olmedo, Justin Nuyda, Ephraim Samson, Edgar Doctor, Agustin Goy. Hyatt Terraces in Baguio City invited and sponsored them for a week with their families. Landscapes done by the group displayed permanently in the hotel function rooms named after the artists; e.g., a Legaspi Suite, an Olazo Suite, etc. Group also painted wall murals at the hotel basement. The July 16, 1990 earthquake in Baguio City destroyed the hotel and with it, the artworks.
• Olazo’s 25th year in the Philippine art scene. In September, three simultaneous one-man shows under the black-and-white umbrella theme.
Finale Art File: Large Scale Paintings, with 20 Permutation Series II, acrylic on canvas, SM Megamall Art Center. Curated by Roberto Chabet.
Galleria Duemila: Permutation Series II, with 15 black-and-white works, acrylic on paper.
Crucible Gallery: Papestry Series, with 19 black-and-white paper works, made from dyed pressed paper pulp, with dyed abaca strands.
• One-man show, Paintings and Prints, Lopez Museum.
• Marks the last group exhibit of Legaspi, Kiukok, Malang, and Olazo due to the death of Legaspi: Works on Paper, Four Masters, Four Worlds, Finale Art File. Exhibits ten Mother and Child, crayon pencil. Olazo also participates in Finale Art File’s 11th anniversary show.
• One-man show, Crucible Gallery, February 14. Exhibits for the first time, DiaphanousAnthuriums, oil on canvas, as well as permutated anthuriums, acrylic on paper. (Exhibited the first permutated anthurium, acrylic on paper, in a Finale Art File group show, 1994).
• Olazo’s 25th one-man show and his first solo exhibit outside Metro Manila, Recent Works, Genluna Gallery, Davao City. Exhibits Diaphanous-Anthuriums, oil on canvas; Permutated Anthuriums, acrylic on paper; Mother and Child, pastel and oil pastel, March 14-31.
• One-man show, Still Life, Lopez Museum, July 14-28. Exhibits 11 DiaphanousAnthuriums, oil on canvas; eleven Kasuy and Kasuy at Mangga, oil on canvas. (Still life Diaphanous-Kasuy first exhibited at Saturday Group of Artists anniversary show, Finale Art File, early this year.)
• One-man show, Pinwheels (Father and Son), Gallery 139, Alabang Town Center, Muntinlupa City, September. Features 14 Pinwheel Series, ten acrylic on paper and four pen and ink on paper.
• Group shows: Large Abstraction in Black and White, Luz Gallery, with Albor, Lianben, Olazo; Mag-ina (Olazo, Samson, Bencab and Malang), Crucible Gallery; Big Nudes — Large Format Nude Drawings, Crucible Gallery; Lithograph Prints (from Jean Marc Scanreigh Workshop), Alliance Francaise de Manille, Makati City; Celebrating Year 12, Finale Art File.
• One-man show features Diaphanous-Anthuriums, oil on canvas, and Permutated Anthuriums, acrylic on paper. Finale Art File, July.
• Romulo Olazo and Jonathan Olazo, Museo Iloilo, Iloilo City. Exhibits five Diaphanous-Anthuriums, six Still Life-Kasuy, and two Diaphanous-Tulips, all oil on canvas. Organized by Finale Art File.
• Other significant shows: Osang Nudes, Crucible Gallery; Modern Art, organized by Galleria Duemila; Drawings and The Figure, Finale Art File.
• One-man show, Galleria Veintiuno, September. Exhibits sixteen Permutation II Series, acrylic on paper done in 1990, 1994, and 1999.
• Four-man show (Cruz, Navarro, Olazo, Wilwayco), Gallery 3, Ayala Museum.